Differences Between Car and Motorcycle Accidents
Car and motorcycle accidents can both end in serious injuries and extensive property damage. Additionally, it can cause great emotional distress for you and your loved ones. It’s important to understand the difference between these types of accidents in order to understand your rights under the law in Oklahoma. Take the right steps to protect your legal rights, starting by partnering with the experienced attorneys at Burton Law Group.
Common Causes of Car and Motorcycle Accidents
Car accidents and motorcycle accidents have many of the same causes. However, there are unique factors to consider for each accident type.
In car accidents, common causes include speeding, running red lights, and driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. In contrast, motorcycle accidents are often caused by factors such as lane splitting, limited visibility, and uneven road surfaces.
- Distracted Driving – Texting, using the phone, eating, and failing to pay attention to the road cause many car and motorcycle accidents.
- Speeding – Riding too fast for road conditions or exceeding the speed limit can also cause an accident.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol – Impaired driving is a leading cause of fatal motorcycle and car accidents.
- Reckless Driving – Avoid aggressive driving, tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, and ignoring traffic signals.
- Vehicle Malfunctions – Faulty brakes, tires, or other mechanical failures can lead to accidents.
- Lack of Visibility – Motorcycles are smaller and less visible than cars, and drivers may fail to see them
- Inexperience – New or inexperienced riders may lack the skills to handle some road conditions.
- Road Hazards: Potholes, debris, or uneven road surfaces can be more dangerous for motorcycles than for cars.
If you’ve been in a car accident or motorcycle accident, contact an experienced personal injury attorney in Oklahoma City to find out more about your rights.
Road Hazards Specific to Two-Wheeled Vehicles
Even if you wear helmets and protective gear, it’s important to know the risks and hazards of riding on Oklahoma highways. Because motorcycles have less stability than cars (two vs. four wheels), oil spills, uneven surfaces, debris, potholes, and other road hazards are more likely to lead to an accident. You can avoid accidents by staying off the road during windy and wet conditions.
The Severity of Injuries in Car vs Motorcycle Accidents
The severity of injuries ranges from mild to severe to fatal for both motorcycle and automobile accidents. However, motorcycle riders face greater risk than car drivers. According to the insurance information institute, nearly 5,600 motorcycle riders died in fatal accidents in 2020. The number and percentage of motorcycle fatalities have increased every year for the past decade, coinciding with a decline in helmet use. Common accidents for motorcycle riders include road rash, broken bones, spine injury, and head trauma.
The likelihood of injuries and death is higher for motorcycle riders. However, automobile accidents also cause numerous injuries, some of which can be life-threatening. Common injuries from car accidents include broken bones, whiplash, and head trauma.
Our Oklahoma personal attorneys go to bat to make sure that you get the compensation you deserve for your medical injuries, loss of wages, and other financial stress related to an accident you didn’t cause.
Insurance Considerations for Car vs Motorcycle Accidents
Although every Oklahoma driver is required to have insurance before legally operating a vehicle, there are many underinsured and uninsured drivers in the state. To protect yourself, it’s important to partner with the right law firm to receive just compensation for your personal injury case.
How Burton Law Group Can Help with Your Personal Injury Case
If you’ve been in a car or motorcycle accident in Oklahoma, work with a personal injury attorney who has experience handling these types of cases. At Burton Law Group, we have helped many car and motorcycle accident victims win their cases in or out of court.
We understand the unique challenges and considerations involved in automobile and motorcycle accidents. If you need help navigating the legal system to recoup your losses, Contact us today for a free consultation with a leading Oklahoma City personal injury attorney.