How to Keep My Business Safe from a Slip and Fall Lawsuit
As a business owner, you have plenty of responsibilities. Many of your responsibilities involve bringing in money; however, keeping your customers and employees safe is another essential responsibility. If someone suffers a slip and fall injury in the building or the parking lot, you can be sued. It is essential that you know how to prevent these accidents from occurring and what you should do if someone files a lawsuit against you.
Tips For Preventing Slip and Fall Lawsuits
If a customer has a slip and fall accident at your business, they can call an Oklahoma City personal injury lawyer to file a lawsuit. Oklahoma City personal injury lawyers will file a lawsuit on behalf of their client in hopes of getting compensation for the victim to cover their medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. If you don’t want to deal with an Oklahoma City attorney, you should follow the steps below to prevent this type of accident from occurring.
- Conduct regular inspections: It is a good idea to walk around the building and the property regularly to check for potential slip and fall hazards. During the inspection, check for cracks in the floor or uneven surfaces that could cause someone to fall. You should also make sure that the stairways and walkways are free of obstructions and that they are well lit. Wet floors should be dried immediately, and clear any snow or ice from high traffic areas.
- Display warning signs: If the floor is wet, or if there is a slip and fall hazard that cannot be repaired immediately, you should post warning signs in the area to prevent a slip and fall accident. If a warning sign is posted, there won’t be much an Oklahoma City accident attorney can do as far as a lawsuit goes.
- Install security cameras: Unfortunately, there are some unscrupulous people in this world who will fake a slip and fall accident in hopes of being rewarded financial compensation. It is a good idea to install safety cameras in your business and on the property to protect yourself. If someone does fake a slip and fall accident and calls an Oklahoma City personal injury lawyer, the video footage will prove that you are not responsible. The same is true if your customers or employees were behaving irresponsibly and the accident was their fault.
- Take statements immediately after the accident: If a customer or employee had a slip and fall accident, you should take statements from the victim and any eyewitnesses immediately. You should also take photos of the accident site to have proof of the alleged hazard. Most of all, don’t admit fault. Admitting fault to the victim will give a personal injury attorney Oklahoma City the evidence they need to win a lawsuit.
- Notify your insurance company immediately: It is essential that you notify your insurance company right after the accident occurred. Your lawyer can offer the victim a settlement to prevent a lawsuit.
- Follow up with the victim: It is a good idea to follow up with the victim shortly after the accident. You should also request that your insurance company does the same. Victims are more likely to file a lawsuit against a company that doesn’t seem to be concerned about their injuries.
How An Attorney Can Help If Your Are Sued For a Slip and Fall Accident
If a customer or employee had a slip and fall accident on your property, a personal injury attorney Oklahoma City can help. There are a few ways that personal injury lawyers in Oklahoma City can prove that the victim doesn’t have a case.
- View the documentation: A lawyer can review the witness statements, the victim’s statement, and the photographs you have taken of the accident scene. If the victim’s story doesn’t add up, a lawsuit can be prevented. the footage can be shown to the victim’s Oklahoma City injury attorney as proof.
- View the video footage: A lawyer can view the video footage of the accident. If the video shows that you were not at fault, your lawyer can share the footage with the victim’s attorney.
The best way to prevent a slip and fall lawsuit is to prevent the accident from occurring in the first place. You can prevent this type of accident by following the tips listed above.
If someone claims they did sustain a slip and fall accident on the property, the professionals at Burton Law Group can help. Our Oklahoma City personal injury attorney can try to prove that you were not at fault. If this isn’t possible, we can help negotiate with the victim’s attorney to award them a settlement that isn’t more than they deserve.