Car Wreck? Not Your Fault? Here’s What You Should Do
It is impossible to prepare for a motor vehicle accident. It is even harder to prepare for what might be required after a motor vehicle accident like medical treatment, being absent from work, and unpaid bills. Add to the picture an insurance company that is working to minimize its cost and close your claim as fast as possible. What should you do? Aside from contacting an Oklahoma City car accident lawyer to evaluate your case, it’s also important to do the following:
It is important to remain calm and think about protecting your interests in the event the party at fault flees the scene, doesn’t report the incident, contradicts your version of what happened, or becomes uncooperative.
1. Call for immediate medical treatment if you are injured. Check on the other passengers, pedestrians, or drivers involved in the accident (if you are able to do so). If someone needs emergency care, call for help. However, you shouldn’t move an injured party unless absolutely necessary.
2. If the other driver is clearly at fault, then that party is technically responsible for reporting the accident. But don’t assume that they will take action. This is why it’s important to gather information on your own.
- Get the contact details of the other driver, plus information on their insurer including a policy number.
- Get the contact details of any witnesses.
- Take photos of the scene of the accident, the damage, and the license plate of the other party.
3. Call the police if there is significant damage and/or bodily injuries. Police reports can sometimes be inadmissible in civil court, but police investigations usually lead to helpful evidence.
4. Speak with an attorney. A lawyer can do many things for you, including talking to the insurance company, assisting you in seeking medical treatment, ensuring that everything is documented, talking to witnesses, and preparing your case.
It’s always prudent to hire an Oklahoma City car accident lawyer after a car crash (or any motor vehicle accident) that is not your fault. Burton Law can help. We can provide you an attorney in Oklahoma City to evaluate your case and advise you on the best course of action moving forward. Whether you’re involved in a car, bicycle, scooter, motorcycle, RV, or truck accident, We’re Here to Help!