Avoid Costly Liabilities with These Boating Tips
If you are an avid boater, it makes sense to know how you can safely enjoy your vessel and make the most of your time on the water. Here are boating tips that will keep yourself and others safe, as well as information on what you should consider if you or a loved one gets injured in an accident:
- Wear a life jacket – Everyone, regardless of whether they can swim or not, should have a life jacket when aboard your boat. Make sure that life jackets are worn at all times.
- Mind the weather – Avoid going when the weather is not conducive to boating. Rough water and storms can cause severe harm, even if you are merely boating on a lake. It is best to keep yourself and your companions out of danger by postponing your boating activity for a better day.
- Slow down – There are no speed limit signs on the water, but you could get fined for being reckless or for excessive speed while operating the boat. Moreover, speeding could increase your risk of being involved in an accident, such as a collision with another vessel or your boat turning over when it hits an underwater obstruction.
- Do not drink and go boating – It is illegal to operate a boat when you are intoxicated, as it increases your chance of causing an accident or harm to yourself. When you lack better judgment, you could become a hazard to other boaters and swimmers. Keep in mind that boating requires your full attention to ensure safety.
- Seek medical attention – Even if you think that you are not injured, it is best to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries may not surface until after a few months or years, and it might then be too late to file a personal injury claim. Worse, those injuries could cause debilitating pain that can affect your mobility and lifestyle down the line, and result in more expensive treatment.
- Follow doctor’s orders – When you get medical attention and receive instructions for care, be sure to follow them. Otherwise, the insurance company is likely to deny your claim and/or try to prove that you are not really injured.
Life can be uncertain, but if you ever find yourself in a situation where you require an Oklahoma City personal injury attorney, get in touch with Burton Law Group for assistance. Our boat accident lawyers will work closely with you to ensure that you are properly compensated for your injuries and/or damage that occurred in any boating accident. If you need any further assistance, contact our Oklahoma city attorney today.