2023 Guide to Navigating an Auto Accident in Oklahoma
The events of an auto accident unfold quickly and are often confusing. If you’ve ever suffered through an Oklahoma car accident, you understand how disorienting the experience can be, even if you weren’t injured.
After an accident, taking several key steps can assist you in any future dealings with the police, insurance carriers, doctors, medical billing offices, or other drivers. It’s important to be proactive in the aftermath of a car accident in Oklahoma in order to preserve your rights.
Key Steps After an Auto Accident
- Check yourself for any injury. As with any other dangerous situation, you can’t take care of others until you’ve first taken care of your own safety. Check yourself to make sure you’re not bleeding or otherwise injured.
- Check any passengers you have for injuries. If you’re able to move, check your other passengers and assist them.
- Find a place of safety and call emergency services. If you and your passengers aren’t too hurt to move, find a safe place by the side of the road. Call 911 for police, fire, and ambulance rescue services.
- Check the driver and passengers of the other vehicles involved. While you wait, make certain everyone else involved is safe and that no one is trapped in any of the vehicles involved.
- Exchange information and get witness contact details. Get names, addresses, contact, and insurance information from the other parties involved and be prepared to give yours as well. If there are other witnesses, get their names, addresses, and telephone numbers. Take note of the details of the vehicles involved, including the model, description, and license plate numbers. Get the registration information and VIN number if you can.
- Gather information about the scene. If you have a cell phone camera or another camera available, take pictures of the accident scene, the location, and the vehicles.
- Cooperate with the rescue and police. When emergency services arrive, be sure to follow their instructions. Cooperate with the police and be sure your side of the story is available for any accident report they write. Ask for a copy of the accident report, and be sure to get the names and badge numbers of the police officers who respond to the accident.
- Contact your insurance carrier. Contact your insurance carrier promptly. Many insurance policies have a deadline for reporting accidents. You should comply with that deadline if possible, although many times, serious injuries or hospitalization may prevent immediate contact.
Filing an Insurance Claim for Damages and Injuries
When dealing with an insurance adjuster, whether for your own policy or that of the other driver, always bear in mind that the adjuster is an employee of the insurance company. His task is to reduce the amount paid for claims made against the insurance policies written by the company.
Whenever you talk to an insurance adjuster, always answer questions as simply and directly as possible. Don’t embellish or elaborate. Tell the truth and don’t exaggerate claims or try to bring in irrelevant details. Don’t sign anything without taking time to read it and consider it. Consult with an auto accident attorney in OKC if you have any questions.
Always take time to gather information and supporting documents. Medical providers have complex billing systems, and bills may not be available right away. Don’t enter into any settlement until you are certain that you have all possible medical bills in hand.
Contact an Auto Accident Lawyer in Oklahoma City
The Burton Law Group has advised many clients and helped them gain compensation for their injuries and financial losses after car accidents. Our legal professionals know that the aftermath of an auto accident can be traumatic and stressful. We treat each of our clients as individuals with dignity and compassion and strive to deliver the best representation we can, with high standards for diligence and ethics.
If you or a loved one has been injured or suffered financial loss after a car accident in the Oklahoma City area, we will welcome the chance to meet with you, evaluate your case, and advise you on any questions you have. You shouldn’t have to face the difficulty of an accident alone. Call today for an appointment with an Oklahoma City accident attorney.